Monday, February 7, 2011

Oscars!






Good evening, ladies and gentlemen and non-existent subscribers. It's time to begin this cutting-edge blog at long last by announcing some breaking news--the Oscar nominees have been announced! Yes, it all happened the Tuesday before last; and The King's Speech leads the pack with 12 nominations. Remember, you heard it here first at One Hundred Twenty Minutes, always bringing you up-to-the-year coverage of some of the most already-reported happenings in film! Brought to you right from the epicenter of Hollywood movie-watching, my living room! Be sure to tune in daily to 120 Mins--where old news is made new again!

But I digress. The nominees were no surprise for the most part, but I was surprised to realize that I'd actually seen a majority of the films this year. (One of the perks of not being in college at the moment is actually having money and homework-free weekends to waste.)

I've currently seen six of the ten Best Picture nominees:
  • The King's Speech
  • Inception
  • Black Swan
  • The Social Network
  • True Grit
  • Toy Story 3
I still need to watch:
  • 127 Hours
  • The Fighter
  • Winter's Bone
  • The Kids Are All Right
At this point, I've honestly enjoyed all of the movies up for Best Picture. Inception's mind-and gravity-bending adventure, The Social Network's quick-witted and pitch-perfect portrayal of the Facebook generation, Toy Story 3's fun yet deeply moving story about growing up...I'd pay to see them again. I relished Black Swan's madness and trippy visuals that blurred the line between reality and hallucination--exactly what I'd expect from one of my favorite directors, Darren Aronofsky. And I can see why The King's Speech has so many nominations. Really, I expected a rather stiff, "serious" film, but was actually quite entertained by the interaction between Prince Albert and the commoner who becomes his speech therapist. I hope Colin Firth and Geoffrey Rush both win awards (for Best Actor and Best Supporting Actor, respectively). But I'm withholding judgement on which film deserves Best Picture. I plan on watching The Kids Are All Right today, and Winter's Bone should be next in the queue.

What do you guys think? How many of the films up for this year's Academy Awards have you seen? And do you agree with the nominations?

No comments:

Post a Comment