Sunday, February 27, 2011

The Academy Crowns The King's Speech Best Picture




I just got home from my parents' house--which, having an HD TV and also a fireplace, was the obvious choice of location for Oscar-watching--and The King's Speech music is still stuck in my head. An unsurprising win, although everyone was pushing for The Social Network. Don't get me wrong. I enjoyed the film and its razor-sharp dialogue (for which it deserved the Best Adapted Screenplay Oscar.) When I saw it with my mom, who has never used Facebook, I thought it gave a a perfect portrait of the times and this generation. And, as I realized later, it was surprisingly exciting for a film in which nearly all of the action consists of people sitting around in offices or in front of computers.

But once The King's Speech had won for Best Original Screenplay, Best Actor (yay Colin Firth!), and especially Best Director, it was clearly going home with the Best Picture trophy as well. I mean, they even played the music/speech from the finale of the movie during the nominee montage! And I think I would have been disappointed otherwise. The Social Network is cool, smart, and of-the-moment, but The King's Speech is simply flawless. As much as I love quirky movies, non-linear storytelling and the like, I'm glad Hollywood still honors classic storytelling including great performances and cinematography, as well as a story that is moving and inspiring yet also humorous.

Anyway, I wasn't really rooting for anyone in particular in most of the other categories. I did want Hailee Steinfield to win Best Supporting Actress, but I didn't see The Fighter and Melissa Leo was great, I'm sure. I was amused by how much she seemed to be in shock and even dropped the (censored) f-bomb. James Franco and the always lovely Anne Hathaway did a good job from what I saw--I missed part of the opening performance, which apparently included them dressing in drag. Probably, that was the most daring fashion choice of the night. Where is Lady Gaga when you need her? Just kidding. My one gripe about the broadcast is that I wish Florence Welch's performance could have been longer. I love her voice and music in general. Maybe if the thank-you speeches had been shorter? Ha...we all know that's never going to happen!

Check out all the winners of the 83rd Annual Academy Award winners here.

No comments:

Post a Comment